The Design Engineer role for which Cox is currently recruiting is ideal for a candidate wishing to work in an environment of rapid technical change, to develop innovative new technologies. The role will allow the candidate to either work across a broad range of systems, or to take a higher level of ownership over the design of a given system, depending on their skillset and approach to work.
1.1. JOB FUNCTION
• To work in conjunction with other Design Engineers, Senior Design Engineers and Principal Engineers to produce component and assembly designs which meet the required performance targets, in accordance with development schedules and company design standards
• To work as part of a cohesive team, ensuring the quality of output from the design team remains at the highest possible level. This may from time to time involve mentoring of junior design staff
• In line with the departments’ drive for continuous improvement, contribute to the identification of technical shortcomings and implement design solutions as required.
1.2. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
• Preparation of component and assembly designs, in the form of 3D models, 2D technical drawings and other associated technical documentation, to address technical issues identified by a combination of real-world testing, analytical study and engineering judgement
• Preparation of design release packs including supporting evidence such as basic calculations to support key design decisions
• Close cooperation with other key technical stakeholders, including analysis, systems, build
& test to ensure the delivery of ‘right first time’, technically sound designs
• Ensuring one’s own designs meet company design guidelines and standards
- Effective application of sound engineering principles and ones’ own experience to contribute to the determination of potential root causes for technical challenges, and to propose potential design solutions
• Clear positive work ethic with a desire to work to get the job done rather than working to the clock
• Maintain an enthusiastic, positive, calm and accommodating approach to work and changing priorities
- A high level of attention to detail, with an aspiration to achieve technical excellence, believing in ‘good enough, is not good enough’.
- Commitment to the achievement of the company’s long term business objectives
- SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Formal education in engineering or a relevant scientific discipline; degree or vocational qualifications both considered equally
• Experience of:
- Power or drivetrain component/system design
- Working within an environment of continuous and rapid technical change
• A thorough technical understanding of core mechanical engineering principles:
- Material selection, heat treatment, manufacturing and processing knowledge, to include:
? Injection moulding & vacuum forming
? Machining (including cutting, grinding & EDM)
? Rapid manufacturing
- Stress, strain, fatigue, creep, fretting, galling o Bolted joints
- Fluid bearings, oil/hydraulic systems, seals
- Basic tolerance analysis o DFM&A / DFx
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to operate as part of a team both within and outside of the Engineering department
• Strong 3D CAD skills using one or more of the common industry packages; Siemens NX, Catia, Solidworks, Inventor etc.
• Excellent 2D technical drawing skills, and a thorough understanding of GD&T principles to produce drawings in accordance with BS8888, and the ISO GPS framework
- Sound documentation capabilities and thus experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint for example