Calibration Engineer (Coventry)
Eggs, sausages, bacon and a coffee… some of the main components of the perfect breakfast, right?
This might look like the beginning of a breakfast shopping list and you’re probably wondering what this has to do with an advert for a Calibration Engineer based in Coventry… but bear with me…
Unfortunately, these are also some of the worst foods for the environment due to the high emissions created by transportation, farming and feeding that is involved within the process. I know we can’t help with every single part of the method involved but even a little help could make big difference.
The high emissions are particularly due to the farming and transportation of these goods, even down to the average family travelling to the supermarket to do their weekly shop. This is mainly because of the petrol and diesel used within the two steps mentioned. Powertrains are one of the main components within vehicles whether it be passenger cars, commercial vehicles or the large engines within agricultural vehicles/machines and this company offering this opportunity is looking to develop a greener and safer way for these vehicles to operate through development, simulation and testing of powertrain systems.
You have the opportunity to be part of a company who currently have around 11,500 employees (plus 70 years of experience) and are still growing. This is because not only do they want to make the world more sustainable but they also value their employees and believe into turning visions of the future into reality.
We are seeking a powertrain Calibration Engineer with a focus spanning internal combustion engine and future mobility platforms.
You will join the Calibration team with the primary objective to work closely with the client’s customers to develop, test and optimise the performance of their future engine and vehicle programs. You can expect a significant emphasis on ensuring that the calibration of the vehicle meets both legislative and customer specific performance and emissions targets.
Furthermore, you will be expected to take responsibility for planning and executing test work on engine, virtual, and powertrain testbeds or in-vehicle, providing clear and concise data analysis and reporting/recommendations to customer teams. When required by the customer, calibration engineers are expected to participate in vehicle development test trips that may involve world-wide travel.
- Develop and manage new powertrain calibrations using the clients/customer calibration tools and processes
- Plan and execute powertrain testing on engine testbeds and in-vehicle
- Perform data processing and analysis, with reporting to customer teams and management
- Support internal presentations and participate in trainings and knowledge exchange
- Minimum of 2:1 Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant engineering area (Mechanical, Automotive, etc)
- Excellent understanding of gasoline and diesel internal combustion engine performance and fundamentals, including modern Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems, and future industry trends
- Experience of engine software or calibration development processes
- Good working knowledge of calibration tools such as ETAS Inca, ATI Vision etc.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to summarise and make clear technical recommendations across multifunctional disciplines with supporting data
- Self-starter with the ability work with high level instruction, minimal detail breakdown and to be able to seek out relevant information, data and support from other engineering groups.