We are seeking an effective Controls Engineer. This position is within the Controls and Instrumentation Team. The candidate would be expected to engage in all software, Controls and instrumentation aspects of the equipment portfolio, have a proven experience of delivering projects and the ability to lead multiple projects. You will be expected to either support or lead these from development, commissioning and then maintain through the life of the asset.
- Software Development and/or modifications across Siemens S7 and Allen Bradley PLC’s.
- Software Development and/or modifications across Wonderware System Platform, Intouch, WinCC and Beijer HMI’s.
- Project execution management – Schedule and budget
- Deliver projects or upgrades against a traditional V-model approach.
- Creation and review of project Documentation
- Supplier project management
- Specifying and/or designing of the Software Hardware.
- Specifying Instrumentation requirements for new and upgrade projects.
- Servicing, fault finding and repairing of Control & Instrumentation systems including Sensors, measuring systems, PLCs, SCADA/HMI Systems, across gas plant systems, fire & gas systems, control panels, protection systems and associated plant.
- Reviewing opportunities for cost reduction and efficiency improvements
- Providing written monthly updates on programmes, issues & actions
- UK Travel to various sites
- Will be required to be part of the “Out of hours” support rota
- When necessary leading a small team (External and Suppliers).
- Reporting of project progress and status on a regular basis.
- Technical input to & review of project plans as required.
- Identification of technical, schedule and commercial risks.
- Provide assistance to Procurement as and when necessary to assist with the sourcing and Sub-Contracting activities.
- Preparation and reviewing of Project Requirements and Design Specifications.
- Preparation and reviewing of the Software Requirements, Design and Interface Specifications.
- Preparation and reviewing of Test Requirements for specific software applications/units to standards as defined within the Codes of Practice.
- Ensuring that System and unit Design Specifications comply with the contractual safety standards.
- Preparation and reviewing of supplementary Project/Product documentation.
- Generation of work scope and task lists for the project.
- Provide technical support and guidance to the unit engineers on the project.
- Definition of work required to be undertaken by the Unit Specialists.
- Technical liaison with the Unit specialists – Reviewing solutions to ensure cross-project standardisation and optimisation of engineering resource.
- Identification of project variation order requests opportunities.
- Review all relevant analyses to verify findings and recommendations are acted upon.
- Support of technical and project execution audits imposed by clients.
- Software engineering support during various test phases.
- Attend project close-out meetings/lessons learned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree / HND qualified (or equivalent) in Software Engineering.
- Strong background and experience within an associated field of industry.
- Have a proven Software Engineering background in PLC / SCADA systems.
- Have experience of working with codes of practice and national and international standards.
- Have proven experience in leading Projects.
- Be capable of working to and within the Contract.
- Be able to communicate effectively.
- Be capable of multi-tasking and working to agreed schedules and be ‘commercially aware’ in engineering solutions.
- Flexibility to work across a various range of Systems.
- Experience in PLC & SCADA products such as: Wonderware, Rockwell Automation and Siemens.
- Experience of communication protocols such as Modbus, Profibus, TCP/IP and ProfiNet.
- Experience in Instrumentation specifying and setting up.