Senior Engineer – Electrified Powertrain
Joining a talented and ambitious engineering consultancy who collaborate with customers from some of the largest organisations in industry. We strive to engineer products and technologies that genuinely benefit both our customers and the wider world.
As a Senior Engineer you will be responsible for providing project leadership to successfully deliver your own projects, as well as supporting those of others. Applying technical knowledge and experience to interesting and challenging projects for a wide variety of customers, markets and sectors. Supporting engineers, ensuring they are developing skills and capabilities whilst using the most appropriate methods. Generating and maintaining relationships with customers at an appropriate level.
- Define and review electrified powertrain system requirements and architectures for customer and internal programs in automotive, aero and off highway applications for ASIL C/D applications.
- Create detailed designs for high power (>150kW, 300-800V) traction inverters and associated digital and mixed signal control and interface circuits, actuators and sensors.
- Microcontroller hardware implementation (ideally Infineon AurixTM automotive family).
- Schematic capture and PCB layout using Altium Designer. Understanding of creepage and clearance requirements for HV circuit design (LV123, HV3 level). BOM generation and coordinating with contract PCBA manufacturers.
- Create detailed design documentation showing worst case calculations, circuit and thermal simulations, component selection, costed BoMs, test requirements and validation test reports.
- Work with EP mechanical engineers to develop integrated electronic / mechanical / thermal design concepts.
- Define and review test plans and DVPRs for Electrified Powertrain systems and components (LV124 etc), from traction inverters to fully integrated electric drive units (EDUs).
- Safe use of high power, high voltage development and test equipment such as high power battery emulators, PSUs, power analysers, loads, motor test dynos etc within a dedicated high voltage development lab and EDU test facility, up to ~1MW and 800Vdc.
- Familiar with digital motor control schemes for a variety of motor technologies (IPM, SPM, ASM, SR etc) – FOC, field weakened operation, overmodulation, harmonic current injection for NVH, fault and protection schemes etc.
- Designing to meet EMC requirements for EDU components (ISO7637 etc) at subsystem level.
- Ability to generate and develop subsystem DFMEA and HARA from program initiation.
- Provide accurate project timing, resource and cost planning information to support Program Management and Business Development activities.
- Work with EP control software engineers to test and develop inverter and motor control software and test electronics hardware.