Eggs, sausages, bacon and a coffee… some of the main components of the perfect breakfast, right?
This might look like the beginning of a breakfast shopping list and you’re probably wondering what this has to do with an advert for an Electrical Engineer… but bear with me…
Unfortunately, these are also some of the worst foods for the environment due to the high emissions created by transportation, farming and feeding that is involved within the process. I know we can’t help with every single part of the method involved but even a little help could make big difference.
The high emissions are particularly due to the farming and transportation of these goods, even down to the average family travelling to the supermarket to do their weekly shop. This is mainly because of the petrol and diesel used within the two steps mentioned. Powertrains are one of the main components within vehicles whether it be passenger cars, commercial vehicles or the large engines within agricultural vehicles/machines and this company offering this opportunity is looking to develop a greener and safer way for these vehicles to operate through development, simulation and testing of powertrain systems.
You have the opportunity to be part of a company who currently have around 11,500 employees (plus 70 years of experience) and are still growing. This is because not only do they want to make the world more sustainable, but they also value their employees and believe into turning visions of the future into reality.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a passionate and enthusiastic graduate / junior / senior engineer to join a thriving Design Department in Basildon, Essex or Coventry, West Midlands. This is an opportunity to play a crucial part in the development of modern passenger car powertrain systems. The Electrical Engineer will lead system & component level design of powertrain electrical components – specifically in battery pack/ fuel cell development projects.
- Lead system and component level design of electrical systems and components in vehicle and powertrain applications
- Lead the preparation of electrical system requirements and specifications (fuses, contactors, busbars, isolation system, clearance and creepage etc), and cascade requirements to a component level
- Good understanding of BMS functionality and coordinating/cascading requirements
- Support the preparation of electrical system wiring diagrams and component quality documentation (boundary diagrams, P diagrams, robustness check lists, FMEAs and test plans)
- Liaise with relevant teams to lead electrical design tasks (i.e. simulation, manufacturing, suppliers, testing and SW and controls teams)
- Create electrical systems and component specifications for sign-off
- Preparation of reports (verbal & written), providing robust recommendations and proposals
- Lead assessment of simulation and testing results and defining next steps
- Liaison with, and report to, multiple functional groups within the organisation
As a Senior Engineer you would have the additional responsibilities:
- Lead client project discussions
- Demonstrate and promote the companies competences and services within client teams
- Mentor and support team members
- Support recruitment activities
- Support sales activities
- Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Control Engineering or similar (min 2:1)
- Excellent understanding in electrical vehicle/powertrain system and component requirements (e-machines, hybrid systems, batteries & control systems, etc)