Mechanical Design Engineer (Applied Technologies)
What are your first thoughts as a Mechanical Design Engineer if mentioned to you Bentley, Rolls Royce and Aston Martin? Would you agree that they are some of the most elegantly designed vehicles to grace our roads?
Now, it is no hidden secret that all new cars sold in the UK will need to be electric by 2035 and the roar of a V8 engine could soon be in the past but at least we can retain the beauty of those vehicles through design.
Sustainability, Reliability and Usability. Now if they stand out to you and you can honestly say that within you walk in life that you consider those to be very important, then I have a great opportunity for you.
The client I am working with were built to further the legacies of the most beautiful cars in the world. They restore, enhance and create with knowledge that these vehicles have a cultural value far beyond their function. And they know that each classic vehicle, represents an uncompromised expression of the original and that electrification answers the questions to usability, reliability and sustainability which empowers their customers to enjoy the vehicles on a daily.
We are currently looking for Mechanical Engineers that will play a key role in developing mechanical solutions on commercial vehicles that strike a critical balance between manufacturability, assembly, cost, function and elegance.
- Specification, 3D and 2D design of components using Solidworks
- Design for cost, assembly, manufacturing, and elegance
- Manage subsystem requirements and gateway approvals to ensure all parts go through proper release process
- Interface regularly with procurement team to select suppliers, release parts on time, and ensure parts arrive in timely fashion
- Work with technicians to ensure parts are fit for purpose
- Work with design lead to find, document and address corrective actions on prototype vehicles
- Work closely with development team to outline test program for subassemblies and components, and be quick to address any issues that arise during testing
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant manufacturing, materials, and engineering principles
- Discipline with release procedures, drawing and parts tracking
- Quick, lateral thinking to find simple and fast solutions
- Strong drive to check work with hands-on-vehicle measurements
- 5+ years in highly relevant experience