Principal Electronics Design Engineer
Principal Electronics Design Engineer – Motor Drive/Power Design
According to the latest vehicle stats, the EV market is booming. Electric passenger car sales increased by 186% in 2020 and today there are an estimated 300,000 EVs on the road in the UK and 600,000 plug-in hybrids.
Electric cars account for 10% of all new car registrations in 2021 and this is only going to grow!
If you are looking to develop further knowledge in the EV sector, then this is a fantastic opportunity for you join an experienced team with over 400 years of combined engineering experience. Not only will you have the opportunity to work on unique EV projects but the client also delves into various other projects including UAVs and eVTOL.
The clients are a leader in magnetic engineering innovations that dramatically improve electric motor and generator efficiency for propulsion applications such as Aviation, Aerospace and Electric Vehicles.
We are looking for a skilled “hands on” principal electronics design engineer with experience in the design of high current power supplies and motor controllers for its line of high efficiency brushless motor/generators for use in a variety of applications. The ideal candidate will have successful experience taking high power motor controller design projects from concept to manufacturing.
- Develop design concepts based on requirements.
- Create technical documentation, system functional and design specifications and test reports.
- Design high-power motor controllers, power regulators, high efficiency AC-DC power converters, DC-DC converters, synchronous rectifiers and battery management solutions.
- Design hardware for motor control systems utilizing embedded processors, DSPs, memory devices, OPAMPs, A/D and D/A converters, as well as other peripheral devices such as RS232 and CAN bus.
- Support new product introduction to manufacturing and through product lifecycle.
- Design PCBs for motor control hardware utilizing techniques to prevent EMC and EMI.
- Designing and selecting hardware for high temperature environments.
- Capture designs utilizing software such as Altium, DxDesigner and Allegro.
- Design PCB layout, to control of heat and transients.
- Robust testing / validation / documentation methodology for design verification.
- Fault investigation and FMEA.
- Supervise and support junior engineers.
- Minimum BSc Degree in Electronic/Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in power system design.
- Preferred automotive background with functional safety such as ISO26262.
- Familiarity with RS232, RS485 and CAN bus.
- Experience with power circuit topologies and equipment using active power devices (IGBTs, diodes and SCRs) and passive components (Inductors, transformers, capacitors etc.)
- Mathematical modeling and simulation experience using software such as MATLAB/SIMULINK.
- Experience with basic electronics tools: oscilloscope, data logger, power supplies, active loads.
- Knowledge of EMC/EMI and mitigation through design.
- Must be organized and have methodical approach to problem solving.