Senior/Principal Mechanical Integration Engineer
A Multi-billion-pound company has arrived in the UK… this is your opportunity work to for them!
Mainly known for being the largest manufacturers of electric trains in the world, which is impressive on its own. To give you an idea on where the company currently sit against competitors, in 2019 the global rolling stock market was valued at $60.4 billion and their share of this was a staggering $32.4 billion. So, you can put things into perspective, the closest competitor’s revenue was around $15.8 billion.
Now the exciting part…
With the UK trying to achieve a full transition to EVs by 2032 at the latest, our client has seen an opportunity to be involved in this transition and have built a new state of the art facility based in the west midlands, which is where they are going to be starting their journey in the EV market.
As the company already have a large share of the rolling stock market, the next steps are to grow their market share within the EV sector. How are they going to do this you may ask?
They are going to do this by adding experienced engineers like yourself to an already highly skilled engineering team, from doing this they will gain more knowledge of the industry and get a better understanding of where they will be most valuable to other companies. This will open a wide range of opportunities for you, as you grow alongside the company on their EV journey.
In this position you will drive electro-mechanical integration activities for Power Electronics (PE) at system-level and component-level from initial concept through to production. You will collaborate with system engineers, hardware engineers and customers to develop optimal layout of the electronics sub-systems, casing design, assess package feasibility and internal/external interfaces. It will also be essential to carry out benchmark analysis and research into emerging technologies.
Responsible for the Electro-mechanical System integration concept for all PE systems:
- CAD design of complex electronic assemblies considering customer package and benchmarking
- Lead electro-mechanical system integration design considering optimal layout and electrical requirements and component interactions
- Work directly with Electronics HW and System teams to specify PCB board shapes, component geometries and mounting/integration strategies.
- Lead the system mechanical design concept including; casing and structural design, PCB/Power electronics cooling and cost-effective design DFM/DFA.
- Facilitate electro-mechanical system design and package concept discussions for customer RFQs
- Develop early development prototype designs, 2D drawings and manage mechanical prototype sourcing
- Carry out assembly trials and facilitate system performance testing e.g., thermals
Ownership of all mechanical system & component requirements and compliance:
- Lead the electro-mechanical design process, analysing the electronic sub-components & customer specifications to derive the product mechanical system requirements.
- Cascade component requirements specifications for CAE, validation and traceability.
- Work with design and test teams on CAE/test evidence compilation and design review processes.
- Collaborate with the DFMEA Engineer to maintain integration and mechanical system DFMEA.
- System level benchmarking analysis of Powertrain Power Electronics products
Co-ordination and working within and cross functional team:
- To organise and plan own workload and potentially that of supporting engineers
- Communicate with PMs, system, HW and mechanical teams to update documentation and timing plans utilising appropriate tracking tools (MS Project, JIRA etc.) for timing and risk management
- Ensure best practice is maintained within mechanical design, design management and with respect to industry standard development processes