About this position:
We currently have an excellent opportunity for an Electrical Engineer to join an exciting consultancy. This company is a team of innovators, engineers and delivery experts who combine the skill sets to share F1 techniques and processes to businesses with wider industrial and commercial applications.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled Electrical Engineer to join our clients team. As an Electrical Engineer, you will be responsible for conducting site visits to external clients, understanding their marine and vehicle electrical systems, and utilizing this knowledge to design data acquisition systems tailored to their specific needs. The successful candidate will work closely with Design and Development Engineers our external clients, and appropriate manufacturing businesses to ensure seamless execution of the project from concept to installation. They will also work alongside the engineering team to help design and create prototypes of electrical/electronic systems used in hybrid ICE-electric marine propulsion systems. Ideally you will have Motorsport or Marine experience (automotive or EV industry experience will be considered).
Client Site Visits:
- Conduct site visits to external clients’ locations, and engineering bases at Thursley and Portsmouth.
- Engage with clients to gather relevant information, clarify project objectives, and address any technical queries.
Data Acquisition and System Design:
- Utilize the knowledge acquired during site visits to design data acquisition systems from a suite of in-house equipment, that align with clients’ specifications and project objectives.
- Utilise analogue sensor types and prepare detailed design documentation, including system architecture, schematics, and technical specifications.
- Use knowledge of digital communication protocols (CAN, LIN, ethernet) to assist with system design.
Bill of Materials (BOM) Development:
- Create comprehensive and accurate Bills of Materials (BOM) for each data acquisition system designed, specifying all required components and materials.
Procurement and Manufacturing:
- Complete wiring loom design and manufacture, including testing of harnesses, crimping, splice loading and connector loading to account for strain relief.
- Collaborate with Procurement colleagues to source necessary components and ensure timely acquisition within project budget constraints.
- Liaise with the appropriate manufacturing business to oversee the production process, providing necessary technical guidance and addressing any manufacturing challenges.
Installation and Testing:
- Conduct testing and calculation of voltage drop and fusing and calculation of wire gauge selection.
- Take the lead in installing the data acquisition systems to meet the client’s requirements, ensuring proper integration and functionality.
- Conduct thorough testing and validation of the systems to guarantee their performance meets the required standards and fulfils the clients’ expectations.
- Minimum of NVQ3 (or equivalent) in electrical engineering.
- Experience in motorsport, marine, automotive, or EV industry.
- Knowledge of vehicle and marine electrical systems and instrumentation techniques is preferred.
- Familiarity with data acquisition systems, sensors, and related hardware/software.
- Diagnosis, fault finding and repair skills of wiring and electrical systems.
- Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software for schematic and layout design.
- Willingness to travel to client sites frequently, full UK Driving Licence is required.
- Adaptability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Attention to detail and commitment to delivering high-quality results.
- Digital communication protocols (such as CAN) experience.
- Experienced in reactive and planned preventative electrical maintenance.