Electrical Design Engineer
About this position:
This company specializes in the design and manufacture of high-quality electrical control and instrumentation systems and specialist lighting for both land and sea applications. Due to the growth of the business, they are looking for an Electrical Design Engineer to join the team and analyse the functionality and suitability of a design solution, in line with the specified technical and legislative requirements, and generate a range of formal documents for customer approval.
- Production of the necessary design documentation to substantiate the design and application to the project (performance calculations, test plans, material and component selection justifications, etc.).
- Document the technical compliance of the electrical design to the customer’s specifications, including (but not limited to) Safety and Legislative compliance.
- Work with the mechanical design engineers to ensure a completely integrated solution is developed.
- Follow the design process to ensure all mitigations and approvals of the design are in place at the correct stage.
- Degree Qualified, or equivalent experience, with MOD or Aerospace/Defence or Marine Technical experience (min 5 years).
- Power & Electrical Design capability – Including System design & Component Selection.
- Proven Control and Instrumentation design capability.
- Relevant experience – Variable Speed Drives, Motor Starter panels, Distribution systems and PLC systems.
- FMEA & Safety Capabilities – Ability to write and carry out Safety Assessments + Reliability analysis.
- An understanding of Testing & Automation.
- Experience with National Instruments (NI) Hardware & Labview would be advantageous.
- Ability to use E-Plan & Solidworks Electrical would be advantageous.
- Must work well within a team and be able to follow instructions, but also have the ability to work on their own initiative to progress tasks.
- Must have a working knowledge of the Machinery Directive and associated Standards is required.
- Alternative CAD system experience may be considered as training could be provided to the right candidate.