Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
My client is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our growing team. You will be part of a team of skilled engineers providing solutions for a multitude of manufacturing industries. My client design, manufacture and install a wide range of complex automated systems using the very latest robotics, servo, PLC and vision systems combined with innovative design to deliver the full product life cycle.
As a senior mechanical design engineer you will be working alongside electrical design and controls engineers to design bespoke automation machinery. You will be utilising your skills and experience to create required technical documentation including functional design specifications, bill of materials, 3D models and 2D detail drawings.
- Produce accurate and cost-effective components and assemblies using 3D SolidWorks CAD software.
- Produce accurate 2D detail and assembly drawings
- Liaise with suppliers to determine suitable component selection
- Produce accurate bills of materials
- Liaise with electrical design and controls engineers to determine suitable system requirements.
- Support the machine commissioning activities
- Communicate accurate project status to the project leads
- Produce pneumatic, hydraulic and vacuum schematics, using relevant symbols and notations.
- Provide occasional site support for customer meetings
- Carry out design calculations either by hand or using software to verifying suitability and performance.
- Carryout and present in design reviews.
- Collaborate with wider design teams and departments to improve functions and processes.
- Review engineering drawings for final sign off.
- Provide some department oversight to ensure sound engineering practise is implemented and instilled.
- Extensive experience with 3D CAD software. SolidWorks experience is required.
- Experience with PDM (Vault) software.
- FEA experience. Preferably with SolidWorks Simulation.
- Extensive experience with hand calculations for drive systems, thermal expansion and conductivity, stress etc.
- Experience in bespoke/special purpose machine building and design.
- Experience with robotics and automation.
- Experience with vision and sensing systems.
- Preferably a history of design for industries such as food, automotive, aerospace and pharmaceuticals.
- Experience with pneumatics, hydraulics and vacuum systems and specification.
- Degree/equivalent or higher in Mechanical Engineering
- HND, HNC, BTEC
- 8 Years or more industry experience